Friday, August 18, 2006

Being a hostage/primera impresion...

y empezamos... First off it must be said that I did not understand my character's personality. It was hard to resign myself to be someone so radically different who I am, but we managed to get into it a bit, with the help of a few serious players. I think if we had been more prepared for the whole situation (truly, it was a strange way to start the day, it was hard to quit laughing and get scared!) Not like our guard helped in the process :P! We got into it after the shock of the whole situation had worn off, and were pretty indignant for a while there. Unfortunately, the lack of abuse, physical or otherwise made it difficult for us to ever feel the fear o.o If, for any reason, I ever fell into a situation like that I'm not sure what I would do. Probably shut up fast! I thought I would have really been able to get into a "terrorist" role, but as a hostage the only thing we could do was sit tight and freeze (AC...) I didn't really see them as terrorists, though, even though that's what they were supposed to be in the simulation. I think of terrorists as being unpredictable--you don't know where they'll come next, what they'll do, and that's how they get their power. Which is surprisingly effective since the terrorists are usually small groups of people. This just seemed more like a kidnapping, which doesn't seem like a terrorist action to me, unless they were threatening the people with torture or something. Though they would become a threat to the government from which they took the people because of the public's opinion (it could just as easily be anyone else, right?) and general fear/outrage.
I was actually thinking, if a group just looking for recognition, acknowledgment so that they receive support from people who didn't know of their problems before, managed to take a large group of hostages and make their demands reasonable, probably playing up the compassion that should be shown to every person, not just those under the protection of a certain nation, would get it their way. If they declared that no one would be killed or mistreated, simply held from their people. If they made it clear through a public broadcast (possibly to another country in mass, so that their message could not be witheld from the people by a government trying to spin the situation) that their only goal was to call attention to their plight and help their people I don't see how it would be too bad a thing. I wouldn't mind being a hostage, at least. It would be a good chance to see a different perspective of things...
Wait, was that what I was supposed to write? Ughh...

Y tengo que hablar como yo, no como quiere la escuela, porque siente tan raro, tan extraño, tener que escribir lo que me piden sin decir lo que son mis pensamientos verdaderos! La gente en esta u. aun me dan miedo, hombre! No, de verdad, no siento comoda ni segura de mi lugar aqui, siento como... je, que puedo decir? un cocodrilo en fabrica de carteras? si me conozcan que diran, que haran? sere una extraterrestre? Nunca ha sido facil pa mi hablar con otros, y ahora me asusta decirles lo que creo y siento de verdad. Ya nadie me conoce aqui, siempre miro mis palabras por el temor de decir algo completamente... extraño? bueno, algo que no le gusta lo demas. pero se que va a pasar alguna vez... -_- Pero voy a aguantar, puedo vivir... Voy a encontrar a alguien que le gusta a mi por quien soy, no por lo que quieren ver! ojala... espero... :´p

1 comment:

JJ said...

It's actually pretty hard for me to figure out what happened in the entire skit, as a hostage I didn't have a real awareness of what was going on. When I read the information pamphlet I was totally in with Keibar, I wished so bad that I had been a terrorist! Je, well, anyway...

From what I saw *afterwards*--no reflection on the people playing their roles...sort of--the inflexibility of the U.S. government, and everyone's general... go-with-the-flow kind of attitude didn't seem to work. It was like we each tried to fulfill our role to a limited extent, once we had done something to make it real we waited for other people to act, while what should have been happening was constant communication.

Personally I hate talking to people over the phone, and I hate sticking to formal protocol (aka I'm not good at it -_-) so I would have been asking for a real negotiation, face to face, so that we could have been dealing with people, not blank faced fear-mongers ((pensativa)) Man, I really wish I had been a terrorist!!