feel much better about putting my opinions here if I knew no one was going to read them. But I'm going to put up this one, anyway.
When I read "La Línea", that I mentioned in a couple of posts back, so I won't link, I decided that a life lived solely for one's self was pointless. It seems so selfish to me. We're all on the same planet, living more or less in the same reality, we affect each other all the time without knowing it. So what I thought was that if you see something that's wrong, or something in society that needs to be fixed, saying that fixing it would be ultimately detrimental to your life and happiness is... wrong. Avoiding doing it because it seems impossible is wrong. At least it is for me. I don't think that I matter more than any other person, so if I am in a position to help another person I should do it. Because wouldn't I want someone to help me? One of my heroes is Simón Bolívar, and I don't know if anyone has read "The General in his Labyrinth", by Gabriel García Márquez? He had this crazy big goal, of uniting the present-day countries of Panamá, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Perú and Bolivia after throwing off Spanish rule. And he got rid of the Spaniards, but he wasn't able to unite the countries. In the end he wasn't treated very well, and he was in a miserable physical condition. But he had a dream, a big one, and a good one. And he kept going at it even when it seemed impossible. He didn't make it all come true, I know, but that's the sort of person I find truly amazing... It's the sort of person I would want to emulate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
J.J.
Interesting comment at the beginning of your post. If no one was reading it, whom would the comment be for?
But seriously, we hope that all of our students will keep their own private journals of their experiences during their college years and save their MSSU blogs for assignments and "public" statements that they do, in fact, wish others to read and respond to.
We are working on a new blogging system, by the way, that will allow users to designate which entries are visible to the public, which are visible only to other members of the program, and which are visible only to the author. We have this flexiblility will really encourage our students to keep voluminous records of their thoughts and reactions (not all of which are for the public), which they can then draw on.
It'd be for me, as it will be in the future! Je, I'm glad blogger will soon have that feature... But the whole "I would rather not bear my thoughts" thing I guess I'll work around. I'm not so comfortable with everybody yet, and I'm not used to speaking in groups, but I'm getting there!
Post a Comment