So I was looking over Postman (since I so conveniently forgot it until now, which will be adressed at the end of the post!) and scanned the portion about how our Little Eva will be in a
...culture which has 260,000 billboards, 17,000 newspapers, 12,000 periodicals, 27,000 video outlets for renting tapes, 400 million televiosion sets, and well over 500 million radios... Everything from telegraphy and photography in the nineteenth century to the silicon chip in the twentieth has amplified the din of information intruding on Little Eva's consciouness...
Has anyone ever read the book "Feed"? Anyway, it's about the future when everyone has little microchips in their brains that constantly "feed" them commercials that market to them what the master computers have logged as their general preferences. It's about one boy (who has a feed)'s experience with a girl who has never had a permanent feed, only a removeable one becuase of her father's preference. He finds her to be the most original person he has ever met (becuase she has ideas beyond those that are "fed" to him) but she winds up dying in the end, because I think she has to have a feed implanted for some reason but her brain can't take it? Anyway, she starts to forget everything, so she records her memories in video form with her defunctive feed and sends them to the boy through a sort of telepathic e-mail (possible, in Science Fiction, if your head is a part of a very large computer.) Anyway, I thought that last sentence was a bit remeniscent of the book... Kind of like the affects of marketing on young minds, the way it makes everyone the same.
Anyway, about the argument we had going on consumerism, which everyone seems to have already addressed, but just so you know I was listening, it is the people's responsibility to decide when they have enough. Pretty soon those who just keep buying the new things will have a whole lot of plastic and computer chips with no life to put them in, (especially if we continue like the Feed book says! Which we won't, I'm sure.....)
Ah, about the forgetting everything comment. Well, I was cruising around Miranda's website (the band, not a person) and found a link to another band, Árbol. I youtubed it and found a video, which enamored me so, even while I could have been doing my homework. I realized that their main verse of the song (Enes) is me to a T... (that link is the video! so you know...)
"No me acuerdo bien que estaba cantando
Nunca recorde ninguna cancion
No recuerdo los días ni las cosas (¡¡¡yo!!!)
Nunca se por que, ya se me olvido"
And in English, for people who don't care for translating...
"I don't remember well what I was singing
I never remember any songs
I don't remember days or appointments (me!!!)
I never know why, I already forgot"
Which, of course, makes more sense in Spanish... -_-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment