So, last time--our great debate (ha, it rhymes...)--we discussed a bit the "law of diversity" and then "Spaceship Earth"? Yes, I remember...
Well, about diversity in schools... I agree with Postman's comment about there being good and bad reasons to engage in this sort of policy--a good reason is to promote cultural awareness and respect people of differning cultures, while a bad one is to convince a culture that the wrongs levied upon them in the past must be made up for by the future generations... Which I don't understand. I mean, if one group of people is mad at another what will hurting them back do for their well being? It will only incite more vengance. But the idea of respecting other's cultures and letting them have their cultural identity I am all for. I didn't like what Brennan said in his post about not teaching about other cultures in school--it's so boring if we just stick to facts!! Why don't we explore things not previously touched on in school? Black culture in the U.S. and it's development, Native American culture, Japanese, Vietmanese, Colombian, Mexican culture. Why not? It's not to make people better than another, just to help them understand from where one another comes (not physically, I mean.) And I don't believe that these classes should be restricted to people coming from the said culture, that would be promoting a system of... distinctions between one another, but a bad one.
Now, it was a different thing with the Hispanics at my school. Most of those kids didn't understand much English, they were those still way into ESL, who also didn't have knowledge about the culture they came from. I can't imagine what it must feel like, to be denied the culture from which one comes from (and since the person now lives in, say, the United States they do not have the same culture as the people now living in the country from which they came) AND the culture in which they now live. It must make them feel like... like they don't belong anywhere. I always thought that not belonging made it easier for you to do things that hurt yourself, since you don't have anyone or thing to think about besides your own confusion and search.
So those kids got a class entirely in Spanish, which was so cool! It meant they had a place, even if it was only 3 times a week, in a large population of caucasions who didn't really know them.
Okay, about the Spaceship Earth idea. I have to disagree with the idea that humans are ultimately selfish--humans are too varied and strange (people are just weird...) to have any general idea pushed upon their behavior, I think. But I will accede that it usually seems that their underlying motivation is selfish, but I can't with any certainty say it really is. I just see what's on the outside, understand? It could be argued, I suppose, that what's ultimately better for everyone usually ties in with what's better for the individuals. Becuase "everyone" is made up of a lot of "individuals"...
Eh, off of that. Remember how Andy said he'd take the neg. position? Brave man! So I don't agree with he and Jake's (and other Andrew's?) ideas that to teach a small portion of the world is ultimately worse than not teaching anyone how we share this planet and how all of our actions don't only affect ourselves. Yeah, kids may be hurt and surprised to find out that the rest of the world doesn't think the way they do, but it's not like they won't be anyway. I think it's better to shoot for the moon, and not just ignore what we can't forsee because it's unforseeable...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment